James Cameron and 20th Century Studios produced Avatar: The Way of Water. Avatar 2 (2009). James Cameron and Jon Landau are producing and writing the screenplay. Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaa, Stephen Lang, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Giovanni Ribisi, and Matt Gerald return. Cliff Curtis, Edie Falco, Jemaine Clement, and Brendan Cowell star.
Cameron announced the first two Avatar sequels in 2010, with The Way of Water set for 2014. The addition of three sequels and the necessity to develop new technologies for underwater performance capture caused delays, giving the crew extra time for writing, preproduction, and visual effects. On September 25, 2017, Avatar 3 began filming in Wellington, New Zealand. Filming finished in 2020 after three years.
Jake, Neytiri, and their children as their land crumbles. According to the synopsis, the Sully family faces danger, death, and tragedy. The couple’s flight to Metkayina’s waterworld disrupts tribal politics. Cameron directs and co-produces.
Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Sigourney Weaver return as Jake and Neytiri. Kate Winslet and Michelle Yeoh join Pandora in unspecified roles. Stephen Lang, Cliff Curtis, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Edie Falco, and Jemaine Clement star.
Cast and Characters
- Sam Worthington plays the role of Jake Sully, a former human who fell in love with Neytiri and befriended the Na’vi after becoming a participant in the Avatar Program. Eventually, Jake Sully took the side of the Na’vi in their conflict with humans and led them to victory.
- Neytiri is played by Zoe Saldana. He shed his human form in order to integrate himself fully into the Na’vi society.
- Zoe Saldaa as Neytiri, daughter of the former clan head, future Tsahk of the clan, and Jake’s mate. Neytiri was played by Zoe Saldaa.
- Sigourney Weaver in the role of Kiri, Jake and Neytiri’s adopted daughter who is a teenager. Weaver made her debut in the first film in the role of Dr. Grace Augustine, a human who chooses to fight alongside the Na’vi but is ultimately killed in the struggle. She asserted in 2014 that she would not be playing the same character in the sequels, despite the fact that Weaver and Cameron have both affirmed that she will return in the sequels.
- Stephen Lang as Colonel Miles Quaritch, a human who headed the forces of the RDA, a human organisation occupying Pandora, in their struggle with the Na’vi. Quaritch was the leader of the RDA throughout the events of Avatar.
- Kate Winslet stars as Ronal, a free diver of the Metkayina and Tonowari’s wife. Ronal is portrayed by Tonowari. Winslet referred to Ronal as “a vital figure in the continuous plot,” but she also described her role as “very tiny in comparison to the extended shoot” because it only took a month to film all of her sequences.
- Cliff Curtis as Tonowari, the head of the Metkayina clan of the reef people.
- Jamie Flatters appears in this episode in the role of Neteyam, Jake and Neytiri’s first son and their oldest child.Britain Dalton is cast in the role of Lo’ak, the second son of Jake and Neytiri.
- Filip Geljo stars as Aonung, a young Metkayina male hunter and free diver who is also Tonowari’s son. Duane Evans Jr. stars as Rotxo, a young Metkayina male hunter and free diver.
- Matt Gerald stars as Corporal Lyle Wainfleet, a mercenary who perished during the events of the first movie while fighting for the RDA against the Na’vi. The RDA brought him back to life by transforming him into a Recombinant, a Na’vi Avatar that carries the memories of a soldier within its consciousness.
On Friday, the 16th of December 2022, the film Avatar: The Way of Water will be released in theatres all over the world. It has been approximately 13 years to the day since the release of the first film, and this release date marks the occasion.
Because of the technological advancements necessary to tell the story as well as the logistical challenges of filming Avatar 2, 3, and 4 all at the same time, production on the sequels took an extremely long time to complete.
Rating and Reviews
There’s only so much one can glean from the trailer, which eschews the kind of Easter egg-heavy approach favoured by your modern franchise blockbuster. Those online fanatics who like to pore over every frame of a trailer may be left disappointed; the thrill here is in the macro. Underscored by slow, portentous organ music the footage can only be described as lush.
There are huge, verdant backdrops and blue Na’vi faces animated with unprecedented detail. There is a greater variety of environments here than in the original Avatar – from the jungles of Pandora, to dense, industrialised areas, to wide open water. (As the title suggests, this is a film that seems to centre around the planet’s bodies of water, though little about the plot is disclosed here.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is There a New Avatar Coming Out in 2022?
Is Avatar 5 Confirmed?
Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Sigourney Weaver return as Jake and Neytiri. Stephen Lang, Cliff Curtis, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Edie Falco, and Jemaine Clement star. Kate Winslet and Michelle Yeoh join Pandora in unspecified roles. Sigourney Weaver will not be playing the same character as she played in the first film. Stephen Lang will reprise his role as Colonel Miles Quaritch in all four sequels. Kate Winslet stars as Ronal, a free diver of the Metkayina and Tonowari’s wife.